Hybrid or electric cars are becoming increasingly popular in Quebec, hence the importance of identifying the best EV charger. Although there are many electric charging stations across the province, most charging is done at home.
Some employers also offer workplace charging solutions. They, too, have every interest in choosing the best station to meet the needs of their employees’ electric vehicles.
Global Industries is a company that specializes in the sale of charging stations for electric and hybrid vehicles. Learn all about charging stations to make an informed decision for your charging equipment purchase.
How does a charging station work?
To choose the right EV charging equipment, it’s important to understand how it works. All models of charging stations are unique, but the way to use them remains more or less the same. It should be noted that in Quebec, you must become a member of the electric circuit to use public charging stations.
Here are the steps to charge your vehicle, whether you have the best EV charger:
- Open the charging port
- Remove the charger nozzle from its holder
- Connect the electric car charger to the vehicle and allow the charge to take place
Understanding the different charging levels
Level 1 — Conventional wall outlet
A level 1 charge is a standard charge. However, it has the slowest charging process, and its energy consumption is comparable to that of a 1,400-watt air conditioning unit.
We simply don’t recommend this as a long-term solution, since the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. Hybrid or electric cars are naturally energy-intensive and require a certain level of electric supply to be charged.
While a conventional outlet can help from time to time, long-term use may lead to electrical complications, such as:
- Poor vehicle charging
- Circuit breaker shutdown
- An electrical fire in extreme cases (primarily related to aging electrical installations)
To mitigate this problem, many people opt for a reinforced outlet. However, the fact remains that a level 1 charging session will be very slow and not risk-free. You will therefore need to contact a professional electrician to install the reinforced outlet.
The slow charging time is advantageous in terms of protecting the battery. However, this also means that you will most likely need to charge overnight, every day, for daily use.
Level 2 – Charging stations
Level 2 is where electric charging stations are located and where you will find the best EV charger. These are charging devices starting at 7 kW that can be installed on the exterior wall of a house or in a garage on a 240-volt circuit. The electricity consumption and charging costs of level 2 chargers is comparable to a 40-gallon water heater. All of these elements make it the best home EV charger choice.
Level 3 — Fast but inaccessible
At level 3, we find the direct current fast charging (DCFC) station. These stations are only available on public charging networks, such as the Electric Circuit in Quebec.
To use them, the fully electric vehicle must be equipped with a CHAdeMo or Combo adapter. When looking for the best charging station, you should therefore focus on level 2 devices.
What features should you look for in an electric vehicle charging system?
Here are a few elements that will help you distinguish the best charging station from a standard station.
- Cable length: A longer charging cable option is preferable, since this facilitates access to the charging port on the electric car.
- Cable organization: Having a hook to wrap the cable connectors around lets you avoid clutter and keep your space open, especially in a small garage.
- Size: In the same vein, a station that takes up less space is more beneficial than a device that steals all your space.
- Ease of connection and disconnection: Smooth connecting and disconnecting is an undeniable advantage. A strong and secure holder also ensures that your device is well protected.
- Smart chargers: A smart charging device that is equipped with a mobile application or a screen. This will show you all the information relevant to your charge.
- Multiple clever charging options available: Slower charging preserves your battery. Fast charging is also convenient for more frequent use of your hybrid or electric car.
- Weather-resistant: The variations of the Quebec climate are not forgiving, so it’s essential to find a station that can withstand the weather conditions. This is especially true if your station is outside.
- CSA-certified: The best electric vehicle chargers in Canada hold CSA certification. This certification confirms that the station meets the high standards required in Canada.
The advantages of choosing the best charging station for your vehicle
- Convenience: Having absolute control over how fast and when you charge. This is much faster than having to wait your turn at the public charging station.
- Cost: Public charging isn’t free of charge. Although the price of electric charging is about eight times lower than gasoline, charging at home is still less expensive than at public stations.
- Sustainability: Since you choose the charging speed, taking steps to preserve the battery longevity is much easier.
- Undeniable added value for your home: Adding a charging device for electric cars increases the value of your home. Buyers who own an electric car will be much more interested in buying a home that is already equipped with a dedicated power delivery for hybrid or electric cars.
The best EV charger: our recommendations
- The EV ONE charging station
The EV ONE station is perfect for installing at home. With a 25-foot cable and its many features, it’s the best charging station in Canada. Here are the advantages of choosing an EV ONE portable charging station:
- Real-time display of information relevant to your electrical charge
- Indoor or outdoor installation (weather-resistant)
- Obtaining a subsidy in Quebec
- Choosing a Canadian charging station
The perfect station doesn’t exist, but if it did, it would certainly come close to the EV ONE charging station model.
2. The FLO HOME G5 charging stations
Ideal for single-family homes, the FLO HOME G5 station is compatible with most rechargeable hybrid and electric cars ranges. Like the EV ONE, it can be installed both inside and outside, because it has good heat and weather resistance. The main downside is its initial cost.
3. The GRIZZL-E charging station
The GRIZZL-E station features a compact and sturdy design as well as an aluminum housing. This brand also stands out with its competitive price. Unfortunately, this station does not have a cellular application. Furthermore, it can only be used via connection with a 6/50 or 14/50 outlet.
4. The made-in-Quebec EVDUTY charging station
A proud Québécois station and one of the best-selling models in Quebec. This station is easy to install and features an ultra-flexible 15- or 25-foot cable. This cable meets the needs of small or large garages. However, some users have encountered problems with the nozzle freezing in the winter. They may find this model less attractive than other charging stations in the same category.
5. The EV ONE RFID charging station
This electric charging device has all the advantages of the EV ONE station. Yet, it is mainly aimed at businesses and multi-unit housing complex owners. Thanks to electronic chips in key fob formats, the EV ONE RFID station locks and unlocks to allow selected users to use the station.
The best Global Industries charging station
Are you looking for the best station? Contact Global Industries now. We will make sure to find the model that suits your needs.